November 27, 2023
Vietnam's prime minister calls for ASF measures as outbreaks at over 530
Vietnam's Prime Minister, Pham Minh Chinh, has recently issued an official statement requesting a focus on the implementation of measures to prevent and control African swine fever.
According to a report by the country's Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, from the start of the year until the middle of November, over 530 outbreaks of ASF have been reported nationwide, forcing the destruction of over 20,000 pigs in 44 provinces and cities.
Outbreaks have been on the rise since August, negatively affecting the pig farming industry and food supply.
To prevent, combat and control ASF and ensure a sufficient pork supply, especially nearing the Lunar New Year, Chinh made the following requests:
- Organise the destruction of diseased and dead pigs;
- Proactively implement legal policies to support farmers suffering losses due to epidemics;
- Promptly detect, prevent and handle cases of buying, selling and transporting sick pigs, and dumping carcasses that spread diseases and pollute the environment;
- Instruct farmers to increase cleaning measures and promote biosecurity;
- Urgently review and organise vaccination to prevent dangerous infectious diseases in pigs;
- Establish inspection teams and urge animal disease prevention and control;
- Implement complete, timely and accurate reporting of data on the online animal disease reporting system (VAHIS);
- Enhance communication about ASF, the risk of disease recurrence and spread, epidemic prevention measures and the use of ASF vaccines according to the instructions of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development.
- Official Dispatch of the Prime Minister (Vietnam)